FAQ

What is the Cultivating Wholeness Campaign?

This campaign provides an opportunity for Shalom to build on the rich heritage that was established by leaders and families in past years.  Shalom’s priorities are shaped by our immediate needs and our anticipated needs as our school continues to grow. The campaign is a result of the need for continued improvement within our facility as well as programmatically.  This proposed expansion reflects Shalom’s commitment to community. We strive to cultivate wholeness within our students so they live lives of consequence in the world for the kingdom of God. The impact this expansion will have on our current and future students will be significant. 

Why a campaign now?

Logistically, we are quickly running out of available space. At the elementary end of the building, we added a third 1st grade in 2018-2019. We plan to continue adding an additional classroom per grade, and need the space.

With increased enrollment, it is becoming more difficult to schedule all the necessary gym classes.  Having additional gym space will ease that. Fine arts is growing and needs designated space.  Academic programs are being expanded.

Elementary programs attract 400+ people. Even with scheduling programs on multiple evenings, it is very crowded.

It is a good time to begin a campaign because of the foundation that previous leaders have laid for our school. This foundation created a solid academic program and a sound financial base. There is overwhelming family, faculty, and community support to undertake this project.

What is the campaign goal?  $12 million.

Will my tuition increase to pay for these improvements?

Tuition naturally increases every year because of increasing costs and cost of living evaluations.  One of the campaign goals is to increase the amount of scholarships offered so that more people are financially able to send their children to Shalom. This will help to ease the impact of future tuition increases.

I already pay tuition, why am I being asked to contribute to the campaign? 

Your tuition dollars cover about 80% of the operating budget. Each year we raise the remaining 20% through events and gifts. The campaign expenses are in addition to our normal operating expenses. The Cultivating Wholeness campaign provides an opportunity for families to be part of this exciting initiative that will benefit our current and future students.

When will the campaign begin? end?

The campaign officially begins March 4, 2019. It is scheduled to be a 3-year campaign ending in the spring of 2021.

What are the phases and timeline for the capital expansion?

Phase 1 is the total renovation of the elementary and middle school. That will begin May 2019 and be completed in August 2019.

Phase 2 is the expansion of the elementary area. It provides additional classrooms, a new and more secure entrance, a large gathering area, and new office area.

Phase 3 is the renovation of high school classrooms and the main office areas. This also includes a new main entrance.

Phase 4 is the expansion of the gym, a large stage, and designated fine arts classrooms. It also includes a community room which will be used for middle and high school lunch as well as an area to host events.  An elevator will be part of this phase.

We would like to continue to begin each phase in succession so that the entire project is completed for the 2020-2021 school year.  This is largely dependent on funding.

Will the educational process be disrupted?

Phases 1 and 3 will occur during the summer months. Phases 2 and 4 can occur during the school year. While there will be disruptions, these should be minimal.

How were contractors selected?

Brechbill & Helman Construction Company has been hired as the general contractor. They put the various parts of the construction out for bid. We were able to give them the names of contractors who are in our school family and with whom we’ve worked in the past.

When is my 3-year campaign pledge due?

Campaign pledges are due by March 28, 2019.

Are parents also going to be asked to give for Fair Share?

No.  We did not invite you to participate in Fair Share this year, and will not for the next 3 years. These gifts will be part of the campaign gifts.

Special thanks to our Campaign Leaders:  

  • Steering Committee Chair - Brian Knepper
  • Steering Committee - Les Clugston, Steve Geesaman, John Helman, Ken Kipe, Stacy Lehman, Kirk Martin, Wayne Myers, Lisa Pogue, Gregg Thompson, Dale Watkins
  • Administrator - Angie Petersheim
  • Director of Development - Mike Shaker
  • Campaign Coordinator - Suzanne Poe

    

Do you have a question we missed? Ask us here!

students looking at plans